Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gallivanting around St Gallen and Mrs HBT's egg tarts

In May, my elder sisters came from Malaysia to visit with us for a couple of weeks. One of the places we went to was St Gallen in the northerly part of Switzerland. It's famous for its pretty decorated window frames (designated a World Heritage feature) in its old town.



One thing that I've noticed all over the little towns in Switzerland and Germany is the old-fashioned wrought iron hanging signs for businesses. They are lovely and detailed, diligently kept new and shiny with coats of gold and black paint.



While I'm awaiting pictures of sailing off the coast of Croatia in the Adriatic Sea, I'll post the simple but tasty egg tart recipe I've adapted from Mrs HBT's 'Hip Food' blog (her link is in the column at right).

Easy Egg Tarts

2 eggs
200ml milk (low-fat or full cream)
1/4 cup fine-milled raw sugar (or castor sugar)
1/2 sachet vanilla sugar (or 1/2 tsp vanilla essence)
1 packet of frozen pie dough
20g butter, half melted

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Beat the first four ingredients together. Generously butter two six-cup muffin pans with a brush. Roll out the dough to 3mm thin (or just unroll a pre-rolled one). Cut rounds of dough to fit halfway up the muffin cups.
Through a strainer, pour the egg mixture into each dough-lined cup, leaving 4mm of rim. (You'd be in Sticky City if it overflows.) Bake for 15 minutes. Turn up heat to 175 degrees for the lower part of the oven. Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove muffin pans. Let cool for a few minutes before gently loosening tarts with a small blunt knife. Cool tarts on a wire rack.


These easy egg tarts go quicker than Michael Schumacher before he retired. I can eat four in a row - easy! Thank you, dear Mrs HBT.

23 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

Love how your egg tarts are super-smooth on the custardy surface and have these cute lil creases along the crust. Pity I can't comment on the taste, not unless I get around making some myself! :P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Yar they do look super easy. But in my hands...muahahaha...sure disastrous wan.

Argus Lou said...

Kenny, er, notice how the two on the left are a bit wrinkly like my forehead? Of course I chose the smoothest, shiniest one for the solo picture, lah. ;-) And, yeah, the creases are like cool blips in the matrix.

Lyrical dear, I predict no disaster for you - if you think positive all the way through. Don't even let the word 'disastrous' come within 10m of your neurons.

My Food Safari said...

Your back in action. Egg tarts are one of my favourite at yum cha. But of course, yours is a healthier version of it. You still look the same as the last time I saw you! What wrinkly forehead?! Can't wait to see the pictures of Croatia.

Argus Lou said...

Dear MFSafari, do you mean the dimsum restaurant egg tarts contain lard and/or cream? Of course my forehead is wrinkly; you just haven't seen me in person up close for 27 years.

wonda said...

Must try this recipe when I cleared all the mess and put my house in order. I love egg tarts! The frozen dough had only 3 rectangular sheets and pretty expensive. So I tried the dough e from scratch once, but was disastrous!

Argus Lou said...

Dear Wonda, I will try a few dough recipes from scratch and let you know. Happy 'tarting' to us both. ;-)

Cynthia said...

I've never made egg tarts. You have inspired me.

Argus Lou said...

Hi, Cynthia. Egg tarts are typically served as dessert and sold (takeaway) at Chinese dimsum restaurants. This is a healthier, lighter version but tasty too. :-P

Lee Ping said...

Dear Argus,
Thanks for trying out the egg tarts.

p/s
If you are still looking for crust recipes, I am totally addicted to recipes posted by Corner Cafe (formerly known as Cafe of the East). Check out his egg tart: http://cafeoftheeast.blogspot.com/2005/04/egg-tarts.html

Although I haven't try his egg tart recipe yet, I have tried a few of his other recipes and they were good.

Padma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Padma said...

Egg tarts, very much new to me....
How r u doing Argus? btw those tarts looks scrumptious

Argus Lou said...

Dear Mrs HBT, thank YOU for the recipe and tip-off. Will try the self-made pie shell one day soon.

Hi,Padma. Thank you. We're fine here - just came back after five days in Cardiff, Wales, attending a friend's wedding.

gRaCe said...

seeing ur egg tarts is making me hungry la.. gotta go back to seremban this weekend to buy some. hehe...

p/s: i've missed you!! *hugs*

Argus Lou said...

Hee hee. Spiffy, you're lucky you have easy access to lovely trad eggtarts.

SeaDragon said...

Hi Argus,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Wow you live in a beautiful part of the world. Your egg tarts look very yummy too. I'm still not very happy with my version, I think I must find time to try again.

Haha, and thanks to Lee Ping for the high recommendation, we all learn from each other lah :)

Argus Lou said...

Thanks for visiting here too, SeaDragon. Yes, Lee Ping is a diligent homecook whose recommendations we can always take up. Yes, the scenery and environment here are nice.

Kak Teh said...

I was in switzerland too in june - and from there to some small italian and french villages but have not blogged abt it yet. Must try your egg tarts.

gRaCe said...

yup yup.. and i did buy some when i was back home last weekend. hot and fresh from the oven.. yum yum! ;o)

Argus Lou said...

Dear Kak Teh, so nice of you to drop by. Swiss villages are truly pretty, aren't they? Will watch out for your blogging about them.

If you've a sweet tooth, add an extra teaspoon of sugar to the egg mixture before beating. ^_^ (The recipe here is just mildly sweet.)

Grace, wonderful! And no need to count the thousands of calories. Hee hee.

gRaCe said...

makan only.. no need to count count all...hahah..

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi, I would like to try your egg tarts recipe. May I know why the first egg tart picture doesn't looks shiny like the second picture? Are they the same recipe? How to make the egg tart shiny on its top?

Argus Lou said...

Hi, Kitchen Corner. Thanks for dropping by. I think the shininess comes with taking the tarts out of the oven at the right time. If it's slightly overbaked, the top rumples a bit and loses its shininess. Also, I think a bit more sugar will add to the shine.

My old living-room

My old living-room
In Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

A cherished dream

A cherished dream
To live on a pale beach by a crystal clear sea. (This was taken on the east coast of Johor state, Malaysia.)

slideshowtime